Masters in Special Education Degree Program
Marian University's Master of Arts in Special Education program prepares graduates to teach and assist students who have special needs academically, socially, and behaviorally. This program is offered through Klipsch Educators College, which offers benefits such as the opportunity for scholarships and financial aid. The Special Education program is 36-credit hours and can be completed full-time or part-time.
In Marian University's M.A. in Special Education program, you acquire the advanced knowledge and skills needed to ensure students in P-12 school settings have successful outcomes. Upon completion of our program, graduates are prepared to work with children who have exceptional needs that require educational interventions in reading, math, and written expression, as well as mild behavioral interventions across a spectrum of disabilities.
Special Education Curriculum
Marian University's M.A. in Special Education curriculum meets the Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) requirements and its Rules for Educator Preparation and Accountability (REPA) standards for exceptional needs teachers. Courses in this program include Assessment of Children with Exceptional Needs, Teaching Reading Pre K-Elementary, and Instruction with Assistive Technology. There is also an internship offered for students to gain knowledge of classroom management and instruction on their way to becoming a special education teacher.
Marian's curriculum is designed to ensure you:
- Participate in courses and field experiences that encompass high-incidence disabilities.
- Design programming that includes systemic, focused instruction that is individualized and collaborative in a range of school settings.
- Select and implement intense interventions to remediate academic, social, and behavioral deficits in children.
- Collaborate with general education teachers to create inclusive classrooms with positive academic outcomes.
- Understand how to intercede effectively when behavior negatively impacts the academic and social well-being of a student or a group of students.
Special Education Careers
Licensed special education teachers work in public and private schools with elementary, middle, and high school students. Graduates of this program may also work as tutors, teachers, administrators, and educational consultants at nonprofit and social service agencies, mental health facilities, and therapeutic residential facilities.
This degree is perfect for those looking to make a difference with children in a variety of different grades.
To be eligible for admission, you must have:
- A bachelor's degree or higher from regionally accredited institution
- An undergraduate GPA of at least 3.00
- A limited criminal history check through the Indiana State Police
To apply for admission:
- Go to marian.edu/applynow and click the link for "graduate students."
- Follow the application instructions, which include providing us with official transcripts from every college and/or university that you've attended.
Learn more about Marian’s Masters in Special Education program!
Marian University’s Master of Arts in Special Education provides students with the tools they need to become special education teachers. Interested in learning more about this opportunity? Request information today or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.